Along with preparing for the board exams, one has to deal with the interesting yet really nagging question as ‘What to do after Class 12?’ With a plethora of courses, various streams, entrance exams and career paths to choose from, it is natural for students to get confused about what lies ahead. The career decision post Class 12 is very important and productive as that helps students to have clarity as to how they want to go about further because the right choice leads to a rewarding career prospect.
Keep a note of these questions and choose your career wisely that best fits into your career plan.
- What was your stream in class 12th?
- What are your key interest areas and skills?
- Where your chosen career will lead to in the near future?
- What is the layout or roadmap to reach your goal?
Best career options after 12th
- Gone are the days when a career as an engineer, doctor, chartered accountant and such other core fields was the only good career opportunity that students had.
- Today there are far more options available that are lucrative and interesting as compared to the ones a few years back.
- Students are more open to experimenting with new fields and are building careers as psychologists, tea tasters, counselors, animation and graphic designers, professional photographers and other such fields that were completely unheard of.
We should not opt for streams/ career just because our friends/siblings/ parents want us to go for. We should listen to our heart and soul, what really interests us, what will work best for us and what doesn’t, the cost involved for that particular field of our choice, pay package and growth prospects.
What to do after 12th
- Professional courses: (through an entrance exam or choosing an academic degree as Science/Commerce/Humanities)
1. Medicine (Doctor, Pharmacy, Zoology, Microbiology, Physiotherapy, Dietician)
For admission in MBBS
Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
AIIMS, New Delhi
All India Pre-Veterinary test to 5years B.Vsc
2. Engineering (Joint Entrance Exam-JEE)- Mechanical, Electrical, Computer science, Biotechnology, Petrochemical, Marine engineering.
Accepted by all engineering colleges
By all IIT’s
VIT University, Vellore
Indraprastha University, New Delhi
CLAT (Common Law Admission Test)
National level law entrance exam
LSAT (Law School Admission Test)
For various law institutes in India
- Business administration
- Computer IT
Other competitive exams (UPSC, SSC, Railways, UGC)
- Bank tests
- Government civil services exam
- NDA (National Defence Academy)
Career opportunities after 12th
- Science (Engineering, Defence, Digital expert, Scientist, Researcher, Doctor)
- Commerce (Charter Accountant, Financial Advisor, Human resource manager)
- Humanities (Political science, Language, Psychology, Liberal Arts, Sociology, Hospitality, Law, Social worker, Journalism)
Take your time, assess your interest areas and skills, explore all the possible options/opportunities, seek career guidance and counseling from experienced counselors and professionals at Aim2Excel. Happy and successful career building! Strive and Thrive!