Architecture is both the process and the product of planning, designing, and constructing buildings or any other structures. Architectural works, in the material form of buildings, are often perceived as cultural symbols and as works of art.
Candidates wishing to pursue Architecture must possess 50% marks in aggregate at 10+2 level or equivalent with Mathematics as one of their core subjects. On the basis of their NATA (National Aptitude Test in Architecture) scores, one can enrol for a Bachelor's architecture degree (B.Arch) which usually takes five years to complete. To get admission into B.Arch programs at IITs and NITs, one has to qualify JEE Mains and JEE Advanced also. Further advanced courses include a professional Master’s architecture degree (M.Arch) which can be completed in two years (only those having Bachelors degree in architecture are eligible for it) and a PhD in architecture.
- Practical and technical understanding of building materials and elements, structures, construction, and services
- Ability to mediate and administer a building contract fairly
- Ability to analyze and critically assess problems
- Ability to see the big picture as well as giving attention to the smallest detail
- coordination and interpersonal skills to manage a complex project team of consultants
An aspiring architect must be creative and think outside the box. While planning and designing structures that are practical and sustainable, they must also have knowledge regarding the usage of best raw materials. In a field of work where designs can change and key fundamentals are affected by budget cuts, being adaptable, patient and flexible will prove to be beneficial.
- It’s a very fulfilling profession and one hones their creative skills and applies out of the box thinking while designing structures.
- Work with a variety of professionals (clients, engineers, construction workers)
- A large demand for architects who build using sustainable practices and procedures
- Architects may face challenges regarding budget cuts or the procurement of raw materials.
- Must complete a 3-year internship before practising individually.
- Despite high job prospects, there will be a high competition for jobs.
- School Of Planning And Architecture, Delhi
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Kharagpur
- Sir J. J. College Of Architecture, Mumbai
- Birla Institute Of Technology, Mesra
- Ansal University, Gurgaon
Brinda SomayaBrinda Somaya is a talented Indian architect who has some prestigious projects under her belt. Some of her most famous works include St Thomas Cathedral, Mumbai and Holiday Inn, Bangalore.
Peter WalkerPeter Walker is an American landscape architect and the founder of PWP Landscape Architecture. He has been described as "a veteran designer of corporate campuses and estates. PWP’s most recognized project is the National 9/11 Memorial, forming the core of the rebuilt World Trade Center in New York City.
- Build your own quake proof skyscraper: hhttps://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bring-science-home-earthquake-proof-engineering/
- Attend events organized by the National Association of Students of Architecture and interact with architects Build your own quake proof skyscraper: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bring-science-home-earthquake-proof-engineering/