This career pertains to the art and science of enhancing interiors of buildings to achieve a healthier and aesthetically pleasing environment. It is a multifaceted profession that includes research, planning, organising, and managing the projects as well as the conceptual development, space planning, and execution of the project.
Formal education is not a necessity, however, generally employers look for a Bachelor's degree with a specialisation in Interior Designing, or Interior Architecture. Although it should be noted, significant weight is also given to one's portfolio, skills, and creativity, as they reflect an individual's potential in this career field.
A high level of technical knowledge is required for past and present architectural styles, computer-aided design skills, as well as the ability and talent to explore and choose various textures, materials, and lighting. Creativity lies at the core of interior designing, and each design must capture and reflect the personality of each individual client. Communication skills are a must as well.Tasks:
- Interior designers plan and design the creation as well as the renovation of the spaces one lives or works in
- They consider elements such as safety, and the flow of traffic, as well as style and comfort in their designs
- They estimate material requirements and costs
- Confer with the client to determine factors affecting planning interior environments, such as budget, architectural preferences, and purpose and function
- Uses design software (such as AutoCAD) to create models and visuals
- Researching and preparing plans, diagrams and sketches for interior constructions, materials, finishes, lighting, and furnishing
- Inspects and supervises the work of tradespeople to ensure that quality and safety standards, costs and deadlines are met
Individuals in this career have strong communication skills, are full of creativity and artistic passion. They must be capable of clearly expressing and relating their ideas to others. Furthermore, communication skills also involve listening. People in this profession are adept at multitasking and problem solving. They have a good eye for colour, ambience, and style. They pay attention to detail, and are patient and perceptive.
- This profession is a fun and creative one. It is not monotonous, and each client has varying interests and the work is ever-changing. There are multiple specialisations under Interior Designing. Moreover, there is a great demand for interior designers, especially in India, making it a very attractive upcoming career field.
- There is no fixed clientele. The industry is extremely fast-paced and one must keep track of the ever-changing trends and interests.
- National Institute of Design (NID) -Ahmedabad
- Sir JJ School of Arts -Mumbai
- CEPT University -Ahmedabad
- Sai School of Interior Design -New Delhi
Twinkle KhannaTwinkle Khanna is an award-winning Interior Designer and has worked within the design industry for over 14 years. She has become known for her use of texture and hand-crafted bespoke furniture and most recently won the Elle Décor International Design Award (EDIDA) for her original wall finishes.
- Urban Ladder
- Serie Architects
- Sameep Padora and Associates
- David Collins Studio
- Kelly Hoppen Interiors
- Rockwell Group
- AutoCAD programmes: https://www.udemy.com/topic/autocad/
- SketchUp programmes: https://www.udemy.com/topic/sketchup/
- LaunchPad Academy's Interior Design course: http://launchpadacademy.in/diploma-interior-design