Individuals in this profession are scientists who study genes, including how they are inherited, mutated, activated, or inactivated. They often study the role genes play in disease and health.
Genetics is a discipline of biology and can be pursued at the Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral level. One must graduate school with subjects from the science stream – physics, chemistry, and biology. They can explore courses related to genes and human biology at the undergraduate level, and pursue a course in genetics at the postgraduate and doctoral level.
- Individuals in this profession must possess knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissue, cells, functions, and interactions with each other and the environment, as well as knowledge of subjects like biology, chemistry, and molecular biology.
- Individuals in this profession collect and analyse DNA samples
- They may supervise laboratory technicians who conduct testing and manage documents
- They conduct lab research and experiments
- Extract DNA or perform diagnostic tests
- Interpret, review, and approve genetic lab results
- analyse genetic data to draw conclusions and publish research
- Suitable for people who like to solve problems mentally
- Suitable for people who wants recognition and wants career advancement and a prestigious career
- This career is perfect for people who love to work indoors.
- Very high salary (top 25% highest paid careers)
- Not suitable for people who like to start and carry out projects
- It is very hard to get into this career. Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are required for this career.
- Demand for this career is not growing.
- Long working hours (More than 40 hours per week)
Gregor MendelKnown as the Father of Genetics, he discovered the fundamental law of inheritance. He deduced that genes come in pairs and are inherited as distinct units, one from each parent.
- Indian Institute of Cell Biology
- Serum Institute of India
- Panacea Biotech
- Piramal Healthcare
- Tata Memorial Centre
- Color Genomics
- Gene by Gene
- Laboratory Corporation of America