Fashion design is the art of applying design, aesthetics and natural beauty to clothing and accessories. Designers conduct research on fashion trends and interpret them for their customers. They work in a number of ways from creating a cloth or accessory to modifying it, particular to the audience’s interest.
Fashion designers typically need an associate or a bachelor's degree.
- Associate's degree is a 2-year long program that equips students with fundamental technical design skills, such as tailoring, sewing and basic fashion theories.
- Bachelor's degree (BDes) tends to offer extensive career training and lasts 3 years.
- Masters in Fashion designing (MDes) is the postgraduate degree for a period of two years.
- Besides formal training, fashion designers must be creative and have a knack for colour, textile detail as well as style.
- Drawing and computer drafting skills are necessary for fashion sketching
- Knowledge of sewing and tailoring are required for explaining the design to manufacturers.,/p>
- Employers also tend to prefer fashion designers with retail or sales experience, which apply to the marketing aspect of the occupation.
- Since designers are constantly working with various industry professionals, strong communication and collaboration skills are essential.
- Start your own small-scale business or boutique, having acquired the relevant skills or a one-year diploma.
- The constantly changing fashion trends help prevent monotony in the job.
- Opportunity to work with new people/clients frequently.
- Good and consistent income. The scope of this career is high worldwide.
- Fashion design is a very competitive and exhaustive field.
- The job is very demanding and stressful, owing to harsh criticisms and deadlines from the client.
Manish MalhotraHe is known for his luxurious and contemporary style that fuses traditional Indian colours, fabrics and embroidery. Malhotra, amongst others, is credited with bringing Indian fashion cultures to the international stage.
- Calvin Klein
- Dolce & Gabbana
- Giorgio Armani
- Try your hand at designing: https://www.instructables.com/class/Invention-Class/
- Manish Malhotra in conversation with Sujata Assomull Sippy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yAz6FOUvKA
- The way NIFT does it: https://nift.ac.in/NIFT-showreeel-2017-videos