Mental health Counselor
Professionals in this career field offer guidance to people who are dealing with issues that affect mental health and well-being. This profession deals with counselling with an emphasis on prevention. Counsellors assist individuals in reaching their own resolutions or developing strategies to address and remedy their problems.
An undergraduate degree in psychology, counselling, sociology, or social work is the first step towards the profession. Typically, such courses have a duration of 3 years in India; it may extend to 4 years in universities abroad.It is also possible to have an undergraduate degree in some other field and pursue a Master's in psychology. A Master's degree in clinical/counselling psychology or any other specialised field of psychology is essential to pursue a career in this field. Aspiring counsellors need to complete an internship as part of their Master's degree, the duration of which varies upon the academic institution.
- Knowledge of human behaviour, psychological research methods as well as the assessment and treatment of behavioural and affective disorders is required.
- A counsellor’s main tasks are the diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions.
- Help clients develop coping strategies or find ways to regulate their behaviour.
- Conduct group therapy sessions or workshops.
- Maintain client reports and other related documentation.
Counsellors are inherently compassionate people. They also need to be perceptive and observant as well as creative in their problem-solving approach. Furthermore, effective counsellors are able to express themselves well. They are adept at sensing what others are thinking and feeling by paying attention to social and emotional cues like the body language of the client.
- Multiple career options like career counsellors, clinical psychologist, school counsellors, and family counselling.
- There is an added satisfaction of helping individuals improve their lives.
- This field is steadily growing as there is a great demand for therapists. Hence, there is job security.
- High-income opportunity
- Counsellors run the risk of burnout due to constant exposure to stories of personal struggles.
- Becoming a clinical psychologist takes time. Candidates must complete a bachelor’s and a master’s degree along with at least a year-long internship.
- National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS)
- Artemis Hospital
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute
- Sri Ramachandra Medical Centre
Howard GardnerHe is known for developing the theory of multiple intelligences. He has won numerous awards for his research and received honorary degrees from twenty-nine universities. He has written numerous research articles and books that have been translated into over thirty languages.
Albert BanduraAlbert Bandura is the most cited counseling psychologist today. He has especially contributed to the areas of therapy, personality, social cognition, and behaviourism, in psychology. He is known as the father of the social learning theory.
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Moralities of Everyday Life – Yale University
- Foundations of Positive Psychology – University of Pennsylvania
- The Psychology of Criminal Justice – University of Queensland